I’m not sure if any floor of this library is considered a “quiet floor” anymore, specifically the 3rd floor, but if that rule is still in effect, I suggest you make it more clear that they are quiet floors. Signs used to be posted on the walls and now I no longer see them. This has been on ongoing issue for past semesters. I come here to study and receive the education I pay for. I find it awfully disrespectful that this is hindered whenever I step foot into Bird Library.

I am sorry that you have had difficulty locating a quiet space within the Libraries–seems to be a perennial problem.

The third floor of Bird is not a designated quiet space. Our website lists a number of designated quiet study areas in the Libraries, including the 2nd, 4th, and 5th floors of Bird. If you need more quiet, try the Quiet Reading Room on the lower level, where quiet is the rule. You might also consider heading to Carnegie Library, where the Reading Room is designated quiet study space.

You can report problems of any sort until midnight by calling or texting the Helpline at 315.416.7047. After midnight, the security office in Bird Library can be reached at 315.443.9754. If people are still unruly, Libraries’ staff will enlist the aid of Public Safety in addressing the issue.

Thanks again for writing us!

Tags: , ,

2 thoughts on “Quiet within the Libraries

1. Anonymous says:

What’s needed, imo, is student monitors in the Quiet Room on the basement level, taken from the “pool” of Work-Study students who work security near the stairs on each floor. They can study there, themselves, and then if (when…) students start talking on their cell phones, having conversations in a place where they’re not supposed to, etc., they can be told that they *have* to “take it outside.”

1. Pamela McLaughlin says:

Thanks for your suggestion about how to ensure that the quiet reading room in Bird remains quiet. We will share it with our security and facilities staff for their consideration in staffing that area for the 2017-2018 academic year.